Asset tracking allows your organization to track and locate personnel, equipment, goods, and other critical assets. You can use asset tracking to ensure your personnel and capital equipment are properly deployed to support business operations and serve your customers.
IoT connectivity allows companies to track their assets in real-time and with pinpoint accuracy to improve workflow efficiency, equipment utilization, and service levels.
- Quickly locating critical equipment and goods improves workflow, operating efficiency, and eliminates costly and time-consuming workplace stoppages
- Real-time location tracking and alerting of high-value items minimizes losses, theft, and supply chain disruption
- Increase employee availability, minimize time loss, and increase safety by verifying their location
The connectivity solution for an asset tracking application must support reliable wireless connections, be easily installed and maintained, and it must be scalable. Developing such a solution is hard and complex. It requires extensive experience with cybersecurity, hardware and communications design, location technologies, cloud integrations, scalability, and platform and security maintenance.
The chief challenges of asset tracking include:
- Ability to simultaneously track thousands or even millions of assets that are continuously streaming billions of messages, such as Real Time Location Services (RTLS) events
- Ensuring mission-critical security from the asset into the cloud
- Realizing cost-effective hardware and software for device-to-cloud connectivity that meets profitability goals
Electric Imp addresses the specific needs of asset tracking with its unique platform-as-a-service (PaaS), its designed-for-IoT hardware, and its communications architecture optimized for cost, performance, and function. It provides:
- Proven scalability to track millions of assets and process billions of messages
- Range of optimized wireless communications options for reliable connectivity and RTLS functionality
- Mass volume, highly integrated IoT hardware and cost-effective commissioning and connectivity to deliver low and predictable TCO for long-term profitability
The Electric Imp Platform has all the components to successfully implement connected asset tracking. Companies can move quickly from a trial with just a handful of devices to large-scale commercial deployments tracking millions of assets.
Lunera, an IoT infrastructure company, chose Electric Imp to accelerate the development of its Ambient Computing solution, which uses connected LED smart lamps to provide asset tracking and other location-based services. Lunera accomplished its ambitious goal of going quickly from prototype to commercial shipments thanks to the Electric Imp IoT platform.
Lunera integrated Electric Imp authorized hardware into its smart LED lamp to provide cloud connectivity and edge intelligence to the Lunera SaaS cloud platform, enabling customers to track any asset with a Bluetooth LE-based tag in real time throughout a building.